Mechanic Questions

Questions related to mechanics or builds
Porkins

Mechanic Questions

#1 Post by Porkins » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:04 pm

I have a few questions about game mechanics:

1. Does stun pause the balance timer or reset it? Trying to understand if slow and stun synergize.
2. Does the Elf passive ability 'Educated" work on pet spells, like Spectral Dragon?
3. Can you summon multiple dragons/elementals if you have abilities that increase your pet count?
4. Is there a way to force pets to advance?
5. Do pets teleport with you if you recall or use teleportation spells?
6. Does invisibility interfere with pets?
7. Can you reset skill points?

Build

Re: Mechanic Questions

#2 Post by Build » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Hello! Thank you very much for playing and for the questions.
Porkins wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:04 pm
1. Does stun pause the balance timer or reset it? Trying to understand if slow and stun synergize.
If a target is already stunned, it won't be affected by another stun, and the timer isn't affected either. A target can be affected by both slow and stun at the same time.
Porkins wrote:
2. Does the Elf passive ability 'Educated" work on pet spells, like Spectral Dragon?
Educated applies to all global skills, so it should improve any abilities or spells which are impacted by skill rank. This should include Spectral Dragon, but the rank/effect numbers are still being balanced and so this can change.
Porkins wrote:
3. Can you summon multiple dragons/elementals if you have abilities that increase your pet count?
You can have multiple elementals, however, you can only have one Spectral Dragon at a time.
Porkins wrote:
4. Is there a way to force pets to advance?
You cannot directly command a pet to advance. They will attack automatically, so you can sort of get them to "tank" by retreating after they have advanced, but this may not always work.
Porkins wrote:
5. Do pets teleport with you if you recall or use teleportation spells?
Yes, they should go with you.
Porkins wrote:
6. Does invisibility interfere with pets?
Currently it doesn't apply to pets, and so they may still engage in combat if you are invisible. We're fixing this.
Porkins wrote:
7. Can you reset skill points?
Yes. At the University of Arcana in Kalmyr, there is a shop where a potion is sold and it will reset your skill points. The potion is around 5,000 gold, and keep in mind, you will need gold to learn skills after resetting, unless you have a friend to teach you. :D

Hopefully this answers your questions but if not please don't hesitate to post. Thank you very much for playing and helping us improve!

Porkins

#3 Post by Porkins » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:59 pm

It seems like you can't target pets, which means I can't heal or buff them. Is that a design decision or something that just hasn't been implemented yet? I was hoping to be able to take buff/heal my pet army and play a more passive/controlling build.

Build

#4 Post by Build » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:39 am

Porkins wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:59 pm
It seems like you can't target pets, which means I can't heal or buff them. Is that a design decision or something that just hasn't been implemented yet? I was hoping to be able to take buff/heal my pet army and play a more passive/controlling build.
Correct. Currently, you cannot target pets. We do plan to have some specific abilities/spells which will be used directly on pets, but we don't plan to allow for any spell/ability to target pets.

I totally understand the playstyle you are going for and enjoy it myself. Hopefully we'll offer a better version of it in the future. In the meantime, though you can't buff or heal them, while your pets are fighting, you can use things like control (Void Prison, Blinding Light, Sleep, etc.), debuff (Slow, Frostfire Sigil, Hex) and periodic / damage-over-time spells (Deathly Chill & Fireflies - both debuffs too, Strangling Vines-also control spell), to sort of emulate this passive/pet-focused approach. And as you probably know, if you join the Wild Enclave and learn Coercion, you can control up to 3 pets at a time.

Hopefully this helps. Happy to discuss it further. Thank you for playing, and for all the feedback and questions Porkins! :)

Porkins

#5 Post by Porkins » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:45 am

Fair enough. I think the inability to heal pets will be a big problem for Wild Enclave because you are often unable to replace pets that die. For other pets it is fine because you can just resummon them (I assume).

I have a few more questions:

1. Is there a way to pick up items directly into my backpack? I often have my hands empty to cast spells, and I almost always go into combat holding a goblin ear or some nonsense, which interferes with my casting.
2. Can you use skills from Weapon and Shield if you are only wielding a shield? (in order to cast spells)
3. Are pets considered to be part of your party (e.g. for Troop Redoubt)?
4. Does Silence impact the mobs ability to target a spell after they have cast it?
5. If a creature has cast a spell but hasn't targeted it, is there any way to un-cast their spell (e.g. via stun, knockdown, fear etc)? I'm sure spells will start 1-shotting me, and my only solution right now is to run out of the room when I see NPC cast the spell and let my pets finish taking them down. I'd like to have a skill based strategy.
6. Any chance of getting SENSE room ID into the Prompt or MSDP (even if it requires the skill to use)?
7. Any chance of getting pet room name in pets command? I seem to be losing them from time to time.

I hope it is clear from all of these questions that I think this skill system is great and I have become mildly obsessed with it. It really reminds me of the best parts of games like Skyrim, and it something I have never seen before in a mud. Keep up the good work!

Code

#6 Post by Code » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Porkins wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:45 am
1. Is there a way to pick up items directly into my backpack? I often have my hands empty to cast spells, and I almost always go into combat holding a goblin ear or some nonsense, which interferes with my casting.
Use the GET ALL command. This will bypass your hands and items will go straight into your backpack. You can also use GET ALL <item> to only pick up those select items. Might be a good CONFIG option, though.
Porkins wrote:
2. Can you use skills from Weapon and Shield if you are only wielding a shield? (in order to cast spells)
Yes.
Porkins wrote:
3. Are pets considered to be part of your party (e.g. for Troop Redoubt)?
No, pets are not considered party members.
Porkins wrote:
4. Does Silence impact the mobs ability to target a spell after they have cast it?
No, only in the act of casting.
Porkins wrote:
5. If a creature has cast a spell but hasn't targeted it, is there any way to un-cast their spell (e.g. via stun, knockdown, fear etc)? I'm sure spells will start 1-shotting me, and my only solution right now is to run out of the room when I see NPC cast the spell and let my pets finish taking them down. I'd like to have a skill based strategy.
Shield Throw and Muddle both interrupt spells.
Porkins wrote:
6. Any chance of getting SENSE room ID into the Prompt or MSDP (even if it requires the skill to use)?
That seems very SENSEable. HAHA...no? I'll see if that's something that we can do.
Porkins wrote:
7. Any chance of getting pet room name in pets command? I seem to be losing them from time to time.
I thought that was in, but guess not. We're going to be doing a revamp of the pet system at some point in BETA, so you should expect to see some quality of life changes with regards to pets.