Mount bonuses

Questions related to mechanics or builds
Beriedir

Mount bonuses

#1 Post by Beriedir » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:48 pm

Some of the mounts have modifiers, like this one:
This item is a Mount. Invoke via the Mount and Activate commands.
It is considered Swift.
Requires the Equestrian ability. This mount provides additional Critical Strike and Critical Surge.

I have Equestrian (Riding one), but when mounted 'stats' does not show any change to my critical stats.

Do the mount attributes not work, are they just not shown in stats, or do they only work in certain situations (like mount attack)?

Trying to decide if I want to keep riding or not.

Phocion

Re: Mount bonuses

#2 Post by Phocion » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 am

My understanding is that those bonuses do not unlock until RIding 17. I also have Riding 1 and get nothing from my mount except the appearance of having one.

As a side note, I just did the level 40 Army quest. I got +40 armor which did not increase my damage reduction %.

It seems riding is pretty much an all or nothing skill, unless you want a certain mount for RP.

Beriedir

#3 Post by Beriedir » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:14 am

So I checked it out before I hit 30 and can't reset skills for free.

It looks like the mount does affect skills, but it's scaled by riding level. As an example, my crit percent is 11% without a mount. With a mount (wolf who impacts crit) at Riding 1, it's still 11% (marginal if any affect). However as Riding goes up, the Crit % goes up. At Riding 20, my Crit was at 21%. In between you can see it rise as the Riding skill rises.

Interestingly, while the wolf mount says it also impacts Crit Surge, the Crit Surge skill remained at 24% for me and never changed. Also while the crit rating % did increase, the crit rating itself did not (always stated the same of 56).

But yes, it does seem that if you are going to invest in riding more than 1 point for RP, you'll want to plan a heavy investment in it.

Phocion

#4 Post by Phocion » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Thank you Beriedir! I appreciate you posting your test results. What is distressing for me is that I don't really want to invest in riding, but feel like I need to for Army. I've got the first four Army abilities, and so far only the 10 inventory slots means anything. The armor from level 40 was worth less than starter gear :P. Will think up ideas.

Wren

#5 Post by Wren » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:21 am

What Beriedir reported has changed significantly. With a swift mount, I saw an increase of 0.5% crit chance per rank in riding, which is a huge boost that far outstrips what you get from Awareness. From Eryn's reports, the crit surge does kick in later, requiring either Rank 17 or a bond to activate. According to Xelphiem, swift mounts also grant 0 second imbalance retreats as of rank 17, similar to the Goblin racial. That makes a swift mount with Riding 20 a fantastic addition to any level 100 build, and a welcome addition to many lower level builds as well. 10 to 15% crit chance alone justifies the expense for Alteration and other skills that leverage criticals.