Fast Travel and the Top 10

New ideas and suggestions
Xelphiem

Fast Travel and the Top 10

#1 Post by Xelphiem » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Let's take a look at the top 10 players using the RANK command. I'll post a list here for easy reference.
Eryn, Zorian, Kyroku, Wren, Rikis, Belguard, Astrum, Galdren, Xelphiem, Sanibak.

To begin this analysis, let's look at something each of these players have in common. Fast travel.

Eryn at #1 has mysticism for transcend and then naturalism for Astral Walk.
Zorian at #2 has the demon's portals.
Kyroku at #3 has mysticism for transcend.
Wren at #4 has mysticism for transcend and soul summoning from divinity.
Rikis at #5 has alteration for portals.
Belguard at #6 Has a huge carrying space, but otherwise is an outlier, though he was known to hunt with Zorian and other people with fast travels. I also believe he has mysticism.
Astrum at #7 Has both mysticism and alteration.
Galdren at #8 has the demon's portals.
Xelphiem at #9 has mysticism's transcend.
Sanibak at #10 I'm not sure, but I believe to be a demon as well.

Now, of these how many have their fast travel worked well into their build? Obviously demons get it for free. Any mage is going to have mysticism due to its perks. So if the mage has a natural fast travel, what does anyone who is not a mage have? Let's define fast travel before moving on. Fast travel - for the purposes of this post - is the ability to quickly go to a home or store location and then return to the location that you left with minimal travel time.

The unarmed combat users either are demons or pick up alteration for portals. There is a striking lack of anything in those who are not unarmed, however, that gives them a way of fast travel. Galdren uses 2h weapons and relies on the demon's portals to get around from place to place quickly. Other than that, what fast travel options does one have besides mysticism which only grants a small amount of attack power and clear mind for a character? None. The answer is none. The only fast travel options are either from being a demon - which restricts guild choice - or are magical - which restricts build choice. Neither of these options are good options. As RANK can be seen, every character has something that gives them fast travel. While this may not be the sole reason for their being in the top 10, the vast majority of players will admit that having something as simple as fast travel to one location on a cool down can make gold much easier to get, as well as give players the ability to get xp much quicker.

So what was the point in drawing this connection? The notable lack of physical builds' options to get fast travel. Portal can't be scribed into a scroll (which wouldn't be the proper solution either) and neither can mysticism. A physical character has no options but to sit back and watch as other people teleport around and sell while they slowly amble from one location to the next.

My solution? Give riding a unique way of transport. Much like transcend in that you store a location, but different in that it also gives the ability to ride like in a carriage with a travel time to stables that are scattered in many of the cities across the world. Then they can ride back to their original location on their mount. This combination gives physical characters a unique feeling of transport (travel with no cool down but a travel time) and a way to fast travel without subtracting from their build. Give another physical skill the ability to fast travel as well so that physical characters have 2 options whereas the magical characters also have 2 options. Until that happens, the convenience of fast travel will either cause physical characters to not have skills that could improve their build, or be forced to find a way around this by hunting in suboptimal hunting grounds or traveling. Both of these things give characters who are not forced to take suboptimal choices a leg up in that they can keep hunting, gaining xp and gold, while the other character only falls behind on this curve. Take my advice on the riding skill or not, but physical characters need some way to gain fast travel outside of some sort of scroll.

Oiche

Re: Fast Travel and the Top 10

#2 Post by Oiche » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Another options is to sell variant Recall Stones, which are stamped with key locations. Or two-point stones which let you Recall then Recall back to the leave point. Mechanically that's the same as a longer ride, but it doesn't need the explanation of riding through dangerous territory.

If we want a player economy, allow players to stamp their own stones which can be reused - this was the approach used in the (now ancient) Ultima Online. All characters could use recall but being a mage gave greater flexibility, and removed the reliance on an item. Explorers would create Recall Stones and others would use them for exploration. In Ultima there was a book which would hold 12 (I think?) recall stones for different places of travel and a load of charges of Teleport. Every so often, you'd need to recharge the item (which could be done with a unique item as per lanterns). The item itself could be triggered by anyone.

I'd also like to see a few more options on transportation - moving around is incredibly useful (obviously) and as a non-demon there are limited options even as a mage. When I've been thinking about different builds, it naturally elevates naturalism, alteration and divinity in my thinking and I've decided at least one is pretty much a must.

Mordus

#3 Post by Mordus » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:11 am

Although not as good, having a pet on guard mode will at least let you speedwalk anywhere unless you get hit by a status effect.

I'm a fan of spells-as-consumables, though. Transcendence stones, portal mages in the two big cities charging ZoneLevel*X, even Sanctuary for a quick AFK while staying connected (hide in a cardboard box?)

Xelphiem

#4 Post by Xelphiem » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:41 am

Pets don't really count due to the travel time still involved, neither do I count astral walk in this situation. The recall stones/consumable spells to grant you the one time use of these spells is fantastic and a great idea. I'd love to see something like that added to the game. I enjoy the thought of two way recalls.

Morquin

#5 Post by Morquin » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:48 am

I was thinking it would be an idea to let players discover "travel" locations or beacons, as they move around the game.

Would give you a sense of achievement, when you find the "easy" way to get to and from a place. These beacons could easily be inserted into the lore as old relics from the first elves at Kalmyr, and would perhaps make a good RP event, when the first ones will be found.

I can easily imagine my character finding such a beacon as an ancient statue in the woods somewhere, that would let everyone travel when they touched it.

You touch the statue and suddenly feel yourself being pulled through the ether, to appear in a completely different place. A clear voice rings in your head, "Welcome to Hessa Square, traveler. We, The Kalmyrian Wayfaring Collaborative, thank your for using our service. A toll have been extracted from your own energy to support our continued research in non-corporeal movement".
As you look around you feel a sense of peace on your surroundings, that slowly dissipates as you get your bearings. Travel cost was 100 mana.

It would make sense to let you get your bearings before being attacked by an aggro mob, but also to use mana from the traveler to enable to system. The longer you want to travel, the more mana you use. This would also give validation to melee users having a need to at least a little mana, and why they have it in the first place. I always found it strange that you as a non magical user, actually had mana to spend unless you had at least some magical training.

Dsiban

#6 Post by Dsiban » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:34 am

Kyroku had no fast travel until coup de grace was removed and he swapped thievery for mysticism.

Asteria is a small world that feels lived in when players run into one another as they travel to and fro. I enjoy the scarcity of fast travel and I find the combination of guild recall and tavern recalls to be convenience enough for me. I'd like to see fast travel remain scarce and for portal generating characters to have a role in providing a service to others. I think that a travel convenience in exchange for a social interaction is a fair trade.

That being said, transcending to a cave, getting a well rested bear aspect buff and transcending back is nice, I'm not gonna lie.

Xelphiem

#7 Post by Xelphiem » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:09 pm

While I agree that running into people while hunting or just walking from one location to the next is fantastic, something like a two way recall such as transcend doesn't take away from that. I think it would be fantastic for riding to have that addition, as well as people having the ability to have a single item (that doesn't stack like most recall stones) that lets you recall to a tavern and then back to where you came from would be a great addition without subtracting from that aspect, though I am glad you reminded me. It is always lovely to be hunting and get that short little break when you see another player.

Dsiban

#8 Post by Dsiban » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:02 pm

What if this were an issue that the eventual merchant guild could solve in the form of a guild ability that allows the setup of temporary merchant stalls or something to that effect?